Re-posted from cryotherapytoronto.ca
Summer bodies are made in the winter, however many of us feel doomed when it comes to not only losing weight naturally in the winter, but also keeping from gaining weight in the winter. Every year, many of us make the New Years’ resolution that this will be the year that they lose weight…and often, by the end of the month, that resolution has gone out the window and we fail to follow the tips for losing weight naturally, even though some of them may seem pretty straight-forward.
But, why is this so? Why is it so difficult to lose weight, especially in the winter?
There are 3500 calories in one pound of fat and therefore, in order to lose one pound of weight per week, we must cut out or burn an average of 500 calories each day. While it is possible to eliminate 500 calories from your diet, most individuals find it more enjoyable to use a combination of physical activity along with diet restriction in order to cut these calories.
During cold weather, our metabolism is what helps to keep us warm. However, our inability to maintain our physical activity level results in fewer calories being burned, and more pounds being packed on. Below are 5 tips to losing weight naturally, or 5 strategies to get rid of winter weight gain – despite long evenings on the couch in front of the TV, comfort-food cravings, and over-sized sweaters that help to hide every bulge:
1. High Water Content Foods: Foods with high water content include soups (80 to 95 percent water), fruits and veggies (80 to 95 percent), and hot cereal (85 percent). Water adds weight and volume without adding calories.
2. Get Some Sun: This may seem like one of the unusual tips for losing weight, however sunlight can prevent dips in serotonin, a mood-boosting brain chemical that is also partly responsible for feelings of fullness. Even a heavy dose of artificial light, especially in the morning, may help suppress food cravings and the urge to overeat.
3. Increase Protein and Reduce High Carbs: A moderate-protein diet fools the brain into thinking you’ve eaten more than you have. Combined with increased intake of good healthy fats such as extra virgin coconut oil and organic olive oil (for salads), your body will crave less bad glutenous carbs such as breads, pasta and pastry.
4. Slim Down Your Comfort Foods: Make your favourite comfort healthier by swapping some of the ingredients for healthier alternatives.
5. Give your metabolism a boost with Whole Body Cryotherapy. This is one of the lesser known yet effective tips for losing weight safely. Whole Body Cryotherapy is a natural, non-invasive health-boosting treatment based on the benefits of rapid short-term cooling of the skin’s surface in cold temperatures for duration of 2-3 minutes. This unique approach works to optimize the body’s performance and appearance by promoting healing on both an internal and external level, resulting in comprehensive long-lasting benefits physically and aesthetically. Short-term exposure to extremely cold temperatures stimulates the production of heat thanks to the body’s increased metabolic rate. This results in your body being able to burn between 500 and 800 Kcal per session. These numbers can be significantly increased when coupled with a healthy diet and physical activity as partially discussed in our above-mentioned tips for losing weight naturally. Whole Body Cryotherapy treatments are done with equipment called Cryosauna which has been used for over 3 decades in many parts of the world, including Russia and Poland. Cryotherapy is relatively a new comer to the Canadian soil, however, the awareness is building up and more and more Canadians are now enjoying the multi benefits this unique cold sauna treatment offers. Our Cryosauna in Toronto will help you lose weight faster while boosting you metabolism, leaving you feeling great and energized.